Join the debate ...

To comment on a home page post, click on the "# comments" link at the end of each post. To comment on any other page just scroll to the bottom of the screen and type in the comments box.

Saturday 9 April 2011

The first hearing and some reflection.

February – March 2011: The directions hearing was held at VCAT. It was pretty intimidating – my lawyer had an asthma attack and couldn’t come so I had to get by on my own. The sitting member advised that she didn’t think I would win the case, and suggested that I use other means to resolve the dispute. I was given another month to consider.

After long consideration, I decided that, no matter how tough the case may be, it is important to move forward. Besides, there is no other means available that I can see. Those of us with mental health issues rarely get a voice, and if I don’t stand up here, who will? I’m reminded of that quote “all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” While I think this ban has more to do with paternalism and inflexibility than ‘evil’ (and I have issues with the inherent misogyny of the quote), the principle still stands. So, I’ve decided, will I. I’m waiting now for a hearing date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: